July 15, 2011 Lawrence Manzer case ends abruptly in a mistrial by Christopher di Armani
July 15, 2011 How far can you go to protect your property? by James Foster
July 13, 2011 Moncton Times-Transcript article : Lawrence Manzer faces trial after carrying shotgun outside his home to check on prowlers
July 7, 2011 Lawrence Manzer goes on trial one week from today. One week from today the trial will go ahead at:
Burton Court House
23 Route 102 Highway
River Road, Burton NB
(Mailing address): P.O. Box 94
If you live in the Oromocto area, I would urge you to show up on Friday, July 14th to support one of our military veterans as he faces injustice right here in Canada.
June 24, 2011: Sun TV's Ezra Levant interviews Lawrence Manzer on his show "The Source"
April 25, 2011: Katey Montague has just released her video on the Lawrence Manzer case.
Update — December 6, 2010: The Crown has decided it is in the public interest to move forward with this case. That’s a joke, not justice.
I had a long talk with Lawrence Manzer yesterday about his case, what happened, and how the RCMP have been handling things. It was a very interesting conversation, to put it mildly. All the media accounts seem to be correct on one thing: Laurence (Laurie) is an intelligent, calm, rational man.
We spent about an hour and a half on the phone talking about his case and its history in the area, and all I got from him was a strong sense of self, of his knowledge of his Rights and Freedoms, and his intense desire to stand up for himself against what appears to be a malicious prosecution.
I don’t know what else to call it when the actual criminals get a slap on the wrist and the victims in this case both get charged with serious criminal code violations. More on all of that later…
I'll be updating this page as more news items become available. Most recent items will be at the top of the list.
Katey Montague, through her Rights and Freedom Bulletin, has been doing her best to bring the Lawrence Manzer case to the attention of gun owners across Canada. You can find her writeups about it in her recent Rights and Freedom Bulletin #13 (pdf) and Rights and Freedom Bulletin #14 (pdf) (the link to her December 4th Bulletin will work late Dec 3rd, Katey said. She's got a few finishing touches to make before Saturday's publication.)
Additionally, through his lawyer, those wishing to support Mr. Manzer's defense against this malicious RCMP prosecution can make legal fund donations to him by sending a check payable to:
Lawrence Manzer in trust of Blair McKay
c/o Blair McKay (Attorney)
291 Restigouche Road
On Monday, December 6th, Laurence Manzer will be in court again at the Burton Courthouse at 9:30am. I strongly encourage everyone that lives within a two-hour drive of Burton, New Brunswick, to be there and show your support for Laurie Manzer, and to show the RCMP and the Judge that you stand with your fellow Canadian and won't tolerate this sort of abusive prosecution.
The Burton Courthouse address is:
23 Route 102
Burton, New Brunswick
Currently the CSSA has links to two news stories on their website, but I couldn't find anything else. I've emailed Tony Bernardo to find out more, and he told me the CSSA laywer is in contact with Laurie's attorney. They're unsure if their support will go further than this at the moment.
I heard back from Norm LaPierre, president of the CASD, who has been in contact with Lawrence as well. He's done a number of writeups on his site, and is looking into other ways of helping.
There is no mention of this case on the NFA website at all, nor has the NFA responded to my request for information. Big surprise.
- January 25, 2011 - National Post: Fight the criminals, then the courts by Matt Gurney
- January 25, 2011 - Ammoland.com: Important Firearms Self Defence Court Case Being Fought In Canadian Courts
- December 8, 2010 - Canadian Airborne Brotherhood News: Retired soldier charged after carrying gun to defend property
- December 7, 2010 - Times Transcript: Don't take law into your own hands: RCMP
- December 7, 2010 - Daily Gleaner: Defense of property a 'big issue'
- December 6, 2010 - Times Transcript: Home protection case draws national attention
- December 6, 2010 - Times Transcript: If police did jobs, citizens wouldn't need to act
- December 6, 2010 - Daily Gleaner: Support grows for N.B. man in gun case
- December 4, 2010 - Star Phoenix: Justice Not Being Served
- November 30th, 2010 – John Gormley Live radio show. Manzer segment starts at 16 minutes into this part of the show. You can also listen to it here.
- November 30, 2010 – National Post: Our Endangered Right to Self-Defence
- November 30, 2010 – Daily Gleaner: Until Manzer case is reconsidered, I will be ashamed of our laws
- November 30, 2010 – ChristopherDiArmani.com: Lawrence Russell Manzer CKOM News Talk 650 Radio Interview
- YouTube.com: RCMP Charge Man for Protecting Family
- November 30, 2010 – Times-Transcript: A skewed system or a skewed understanding?
- November 30, 2010 – National Post: Our endangered right to self-defense by Matt Gurney
- November 29, 2010 – Vancouver Sun: Police charge veteran for carrying an unloaded gun while looking for prowlers
- November 29, 2010 – Saskatoon Star-Phoenix: Retired soldier charged after carrying gun while checking on prowlers
- November 28, 2020 – Canada.com: Retired soldier charged after carrying gun to defend property
- November 28, 2010 – Telegraph-Journal: Retired soldier charged after carrying gun to defend property
- November 28, 2010 – Montreal Gazette: Retired soldier charged after carrying gun to defend property
- November 28, 2010 – The Province: Retired soldier charged after carrying gun to defend property
- November 28, 2010 – Edmonton Journal: Retired soldier charged after carrying gun to defend property
- November 28, 2010 – Calgary Herald: Retired soldier charged after carrying gun to defend property
- November 27th, 2010 – Daily Gleaner: The law must help victims
- November 27, 2010 – Katey Montague’s Rights and Freedom Bulletin #13: Everything wrong with gun laws is shown by how cops treated this Military Veteran
- November 27, 2010 – ProudToBeCanadian.ca: Like Gran Torino, but it’s Canada; Canadian yells “get off my lawn”, but being Canada, is arrested.
- November 25, 2010 - Times-Transcript: Citizen arrest law needs review: advocate
- November 25, 2010 – DSLReports.com: N.B. man charged for pointing unloaded gun at trespassers
- November 25, 2010 – Don’t Tread on Me: A Canadian Veteran finds that REMF’s exist on civvy street
- November 25, 2010 – Telegraph-Journal: Victims’ rights group might intervene in N.B. case
- November 25, 2010 -National Post: Man charged for pointing gun at trespassers
- November 24, 2010 – Telegraph-Journal: Public shows support for Burton man facing weapons charges
- November 24, 2010 – National Post: N.B. man charged for pointing an unloaded gun at trespassers
- November 23, 2010 – Capitol FM: Unloaded shotgun dangerous?
- November 23, 2010 -cbc.ca – Burton man charged for confronting prowlers
- November 23, 2010 – K94.5 FM: Armed Homeowner
- November 23, 2010 – upi.com: Man protecting home charged over empty gun
- November 23, 2010 – Telegraph-Journal: “I did everything by the book to protect myself”
- November 23, 2010 – NRA-ILA.org: Canada: Homeowner charged after greeting prowlers outside with unloaded shotgun
- November 22, 2010 – Red Deer Advocate: Homeowner charged after greeting prowlers with unloaded shotgun