I've always believed the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) is nothing if not useless, stupid and unnecessary. Today I add "hypocritical" to the list of adjectives used to describe this anti-freedom, anti-private property government thugocracy.
Earlier in the year the OHRC was bored and started paging through the classified ads sections of Ontario newspapers, combing them for people who were clearly violating OHRC guidelines. Naturally, since they make up the rules as they go along, they were able to find dozens and dozens of violators.
It's easy to find offenders when the rules are anything you say they are, right?
Take, for example, a homeowner advertising a room or apartment for rent that says "Perfect apartment for a student".
While any normal, sane and rational person would comprehend instantly that this isn't for them if they're a family of 4, the Ontario Human Rights Morons class such common sense advertising as "age discrimination."
I wish I could say I was making this crap up. THAT at least would be believable, unlike the moronic rulings coming out of the OHRC.
Here is the official list of what these complete and utter morons list in their page "What is Discrimination in Rental Housing?"
Discrimination in rental housing may take many forms and could happen at any stage, from an advertisement for a rental apartment through to an eviction. Some examples of situations that might be discriminatory are:
- Advertising “adult only” buildings that exclude families with children or young people over 16 who have “withdrawn from parental control.”
- Constructing buildings that are not suitable for people of all ages and abilities.
- Saying to a racialized person that an apartment is rented but continuing to show it to White applicants.
- Applying neutral rules that act as barriers to access, for example, a rule that only applicants with income above a set amount can rent a unit.
- Not responding to a tenant’s requests for disability-related changes to a unit or a building (i.e. not accommodating to the point of undue hardship).
- Making harassing statements or failing to address discriminatory comments and conduct by others, including other tenants.
- Not allowing a same-sex couple the same benefits as other tenants, for example, a right to automatic renewal of a lease.
- Asking tenants to remove religious displays from their front doors.
- Calling the police very often because a tenant has a mental illness.
- Targeting people who are not citizens or who speak languages other than English for evictions.
These kinds of human rights concerns are often heightened when there is limited availability of affordable housing and long waiting lists.
You will notice that the third item on the list says "Saying to a racialized person that an apartment is rented but continuing to show it to White applicants."
That means that white people can't rent only to other white people. Or at least that is how this white person would interpret that statement.
But what about non-white people? Are there any restrictions on who they can rent to?
The only people capable of racial discrimination, according to the Ontario Human Rights Commission Morons are white people.
Muslims, it seems, are incapable of racial discrimination and are therefore exempt from the OHRC's "guidelines".
As has been widely reported by Sun News and other reputable news organizations willing to point out hypocrisy when it is this blatant, placing an ad which says "Muslims Only" is completely acceptable to the OHRC morons.
To quote Sarah Boesveld's fantastic article in the National Post:
It’s the exact kind of specifications the Ontario Human Rights Commission recently warned landlords against putting in their online classified ads —any denial of a prospective tenant due to race, ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age and disability, among other things, is grounds for discrimination according to the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s housing policy and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Suddenly the OHRC moron squads don't have enough time and manpower to investigate such blatantly discriminatory ads. How typical.
“We haven’t investigated any of these housing things because it’s kind of hard to do,” said Rosemary Bennett, a spokesperson for the Ontario Human Rights Commission.
“We’re such a small organization with such a large number of possibilities for contravening the code.”
Suddenly there is a litany of excuses for why there will be no investigation into the "Muslims Only" rental ads.
"It's kind of hard to do..."
"The ads are online... making them not in Ontario's jurisdiction..."
"It's not in our mandate..."
It WAS in your mandate to tell non-Muslims what they could and could not say in a rental ad, but suddenly now it's not?
I guess these assclowns can't read (or comprehend) the information they publish on their own website under the heading of Fact Sheets on Fair Ads:
The Ontario Human Rights Commission created this guide to help landlords who are advertising their rental units and organizations that provide housing listings to prevent human rights violations and avoid complaints.
What Ontario’s Human Rights Code says
You cannot deny a tenant housing because of:
- receipt of public assistance, like welfare or employment insurance
- race, colour or ethnic origin
- age, including 16- or 17-year-olds who are independent of their parents
- family status
- marital status, including people with common-law or same-sex partners
- ancestry, including people of Aboriginal descent
- sex, including pregnancy and gender identity
- religious beliefs or practices
- place of origin
- sexual orientation
- citizenship, including refugee status.
People are also protected from discrimination for being a friend or relative of someone identified by one of the above grounds.
Premier McGuinty, kill off the Ontario Human Rights Commission IMMEDIATELY. It has been irrelevant for a generation and Canadians neither need nor want some government bureaucrat spouting off such asinine and contradictory policies at them let alone enforcing them.
Do the right thing Premier McGuinty. Disband the OHRC immediately.