Democrat American presidents are great gun salesmen. Newly sworn in Joe Biden is no exception according to data released by the FBI.
In January 2021, over 4.3 million background checks were initiated by the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check (NCIS) system, the highest total ever, making Joe Biden America’s ‘Gun Salesman of the Month’ for January 2021.
“That’s undoubtedly connected to President Joe Biden’s plans to attack the firearm industry by undoing and rewriting regulations and executive actions to target the firearm industry,” said Mark Olivia, director of public affairs at the National Shooting Sports Foundation.
In 2020, NICS performed 21 million background checks related to the sale of a firearm – up 60% from 2019. With a Democrat president in the White House, that number is expected to rise again in 2021.
“NSSF estimates that 40 percent of those gun sales were for first-time gun buyers, totaling 8.4 million new gun owners in the United States in 2020,” said Joe Bartozzi, NSSF President and CEO.
Women accounted for 40 percent of all sales, and purchases by African Americans increased by 56 percent compared to 2019.
“That kind of growth validates the relevance and importance of the Second Amendment, but also speaks to an increasing need for firearm safety education. As a community of firearm owners, we all have a responsibility to use, transport and store firearms safely, and NSSF is committed to getting this information in the hands of all our newest community members.”
NSSF’s Project ChildSafe is addressing this growing demand for firearm safety education by providing gun owners with the resources needed to keep safe storage practices top of mind, and to help teach this information, including:
- A Safe Storage Options Infographic showcasing various methods of safe storage.
- An interactive Road to Responsible Gun Ownership tool to help ensure potential gun buyers think about safety and storage even before they commit to making a purchase.
- An interactive Buying Your First Gun Infographic.
- A Firearm Storage And Safety Assessment Quiz to help ensure firearms and be safely stored in the home.
- A video for parents on How to Talk to Kids about gun safety.
- A fact sheet with Ten Tips For Firearm Safety In Your Home.
Firearm ownership comes with responsibilities, a point NSSF continues to drive home with their many firearm safety programs, even as gun sales soar.
If you just bought your first gun or are about to, please review the NSSF materials linked above.