While researching career criminal Ali Nassir Showbeg yesterday, I came across a couple of interesting articles referring to him suing police. I thought this was related to his latest arrest for impaired driving and firearm offences, but it wasn’t.
Showbeg is looking for a big payday for pain and suffering after he was shot in the stomach on August 4, 2015, at an after-party at the Muzik nightclub. He was one of five people shot by an unknown assailant at approximately 3am.
Two of the victims, Duvel Hibbert, 23, and Ariela Navarro-Fenoy, 26, died.
Duvel Hibbert was the killer’s intended target, police said.
Ariela Navarro-Fenoy, however, was not. She was an innocent bystander to the carnage. She tried to leave the area before she died, but a cab driver refused her because the fare would only be $8.00.
What is the minimum required cab fare is to save a young woman’s life, anyway?
Worse, as far as I can tell so far, the killer or killers have never been caught despite a desperate plea for help from Ariela’s family and Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders.
Chief Mark Saunders said Tuesday that attempts to obtain tips, photos and videos from the estimated 4,000 people who attended the club last Monday have gleaned little information about the quintuple shooting, which left two dead and three injured.
“That’s what my problem is,” Saunders told reporters Tuesday. “People are not talking … Someone out there is sitting on that fence, thinking about whether to help the police or not.”
Showbeg’s $2 million lawsuit against the Toronto Police Service and six others will go nowhere. His attempt to profit from this is laughable because, in case after case in Canada, the courts rule police have no duty to protect any individual member of the public.