Have the Editors, Writer and Founders of the online publication The Christian Post completely lost their way? Have they forgotten the most basic tenets of Christianity in their search for a wider secular audience? Have they lost Christ Himself in their misguided search for relevance (and ad revenue)?
These are all valid questions in the wake of their latest newsletter emailed out to subscribers today, March 5, 2016. That email, reproduced in full below at the following link, lists as its second item an ad for the abortion pill Plan B.
I initially thought it was an article about the abortion pill but upon clicking the link I discovered something quite different. It was a direct link to the abortion pill Plan B’s website. To say I was surprised by this would probably be an understatement.
The Christian Post bills itself as “the nation's most comprehensive Christian news website, incorporated with the vision of delivering up-to-date news, information, and commentaries relevant to Christians across denominational lines.”
It’s even more surprising given their published Statement of Faith:
- We affirm our belief in the one-eternal God – Creator and Lord of the world; Father, Son and Holy Spirit – who governs all things according to the purpose of His will.
- We affirm the divine inspiration, truthfulness and authority of both Old and New Testament Scriptures in their entirety as the only written word of God, without error in all that it affirms, and the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
- We affirm that human beings, though created in the image of God, are sinful and guilty, and lost without Jesus Christ, who offers the forgiveness of sins and the liberating gifts of the Spirit to all who repent and believe.
- We confess Jesus Christ as the eternal Son of God who became fully human while remaining fully divine; who was our substitute on the cross, exchanging his righteousness for our unrighteousness, bearing our sins and dying our death; who rose victorious in a transformed body; and who will return personally and visibly, in power and glory, to consummate his salvation and his judgment.
- We believe salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. In its broadest sense, salvation includes regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification.
- We believe that the Church is the community of God's people rather than an institution, is at the very center of God's cosmic purpose, and is His appointed means of spreading the gospel – His good news for the whole world.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, whose work includes the conviction of sin, faith in Christ, new birth and Christian growth. Through him, God's people are baptized into the Body of Christ and enlightened and empowered in worship, evangelism, and service.
- We believe God, in His own time and in His own way, will raise the dead and that Christ will judge all men in righteousness. The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment. The righteous, in their resurrected and glorified bodies, will receive their reward and will dwell forever in Heaven with the Lord.
As far as Statements of Faith go that’s pretty good, which makes their latest email even more distressing.
When any self-confessing Christian organization like The Christian Post loses their way so completely that they publicly advocate for abortion in any form one must wonder about how “Christ-centered” they truly are.
I cannot imagine Christ himself advocating for the Plan B pill but perhaps I’ve not read my bible as thoroughly as I ought! Maybe the folks at The Christian Post found something that I've overlooked?
I’ve asked for their explanation of this email but so far have not heard a word… and I wonder if I ever will.