My name is Donna Montague. I am married to former Ontario gunsmith Bruce Montague.
I have had Enough!
I am thoroughly disgusted!
It is bad enough that the news media reports inflammatory positions about Bruce without verifying their data ….. but the “JUDICIARY” is doing it too.
Now that the trial is over I can speak.
The search of our home:
- First off, there was no search warrant for the September 11, 2004 raid on my home. To this day I have not seen a search warrant for this raid.
- The dynamite we had in the freezer was legal and all charges related to it were dropped. The police reported the dynamite to prejudice the public.
- There were NO sawed off shotguns.
- Next, 20,000 rounds is not a lot. Police officers testified that they and target shooters shoot 5,000-10,000 rounds a year. One order from a local police department is for 11,000 rounds for one event. A retailer has to supply to their customers.
- Next, the full auto firearms: Most don’t realize that they are legal in Canada. Bruce’s license for these was burned in protest.
- Serial Numbers: Bruce did remove serial numbers and was harshly sentenced for it. Bruce served his sentence.
The charge against Bruce of being a danger to society was found NOT GUILTY by the jury.
Character witnesses, a crown contracted background check, and even OPP officers who knew him, when cross-examined testified and stated that Bruce is an upstanding citizen. Bruce worked on a lot of OPP and local police firearms and serviced police departments as far away as New Jersey. At the time of the raid he had a handgun form a Kenora Crown Attorney and an OPP rifle. Yet Bruce is continually slandered.
I, his wife would not remain by his side for over 35 years, and through all this, if Bruce was of the character the judiciary is insinuating. Bruce is a help-your-neighbour kind of guy. I can’t imagine anyone who knows him saying otherwise.
You know we ran a gunsmithing shop and retailed firearms. We didn’t have as many firearms as most firearms stores do. Now the government wish to take what was our small store’s inventory It was not an arsenal! – it is our life’s savings!
Now, after the criminal portion of our case is over, the Crown wants to seize our home – paid for with inherited money from my father and built by our family. This is extreme, overboard and unreasonable!
This game of media defamation is disgusting. You jury members and those who attended the trial, you know the whole story. You can share what you learned in the trial. This is spinning out of control – It is like politicians with their smear campaigns at election time.
Please! Stand Up! Speak! Don’t be silent and let this atrocity continue.
P.S. I have had a lot of response to my letter in the newspaper. People are asking me how they can help with letter writing. We would appreciate your letters to be cc’d to:
Court of Appeal for Ontario
130 Queen Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2N5
The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay (no postage necessary)
Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada
284 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H8
Canadian Constitutional Foundation
1830 – 52 Street SE
Calgary, Alberta T2B 1N1
Some points to consider in these letters may be:
- Taking someone’s life savings for a victimless paper crime when a 1 ½ year prison sentence already seams excessive, is a cruel and excessively brutal punishment.
- In light of the lenient sentences that real criminals get, the courts appear to have an obvious bias against firearms owners.
- Bruce Montague was a protester! He was a conscientious objector to Canada firearms legislation. (see an excellent explanation of what this means at PostcardsFromTheRight.com) He didn’t threaten or hurt anyone. This isn’t how we treat protesters!
- The civil forfeiture legislation was presented as stopping drug lords from getting rich. The we made no profit from our protest and our house is not an instrument or proceed of crime. Bruce made nothing, but the government stands to make hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The Canadian Constitutional Foundation is representing us. You can support their efforts by donating through the Canadian Constitution Foundation website http://theccf.ca/donate/